Brunch is the best part of the weekend. We love to make some french pressed coffee to sip on as we make either a savory or sweet brunch. This weekend, we went with savory and oh boy was it the right call. Enjoy these baked eggs – so simple and so delicious.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar (about 4 oz.)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, 10–12 minutes.
Add tomatoes, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, and paprika to pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and liquid is thickened, 20–30 minutes; add spinach and season with salt and pepper. Discard jalapeños.
Preheat oven to 400°. Using the back of a spoon, make 6 evenly spaced divots in mixture and crack 1 egg into each. Top with cheddar cheese; season with salt and pepper. Bake, rotating dish halfway through, until egg whites are almost set but yolks are still runny, 15–18 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
Psst. Leave out the cheese and this breakfast is paleo!